Sunday, December 24, 2006

Jello mold mess

I am the first to admit that I am not a very domestic person. While some women thrive on making crocheted potholders and baking cookies, I find it absolutely boring and time consuming when I would rather be doing other more important things like writing, reading, drawing, painting, walking outdoors, and any other number of things not related to "housework".

I especially hate doing anything that is related to food and cooking. That doesn't mean I don't cook, I do or else we would be severely obese from fast food, or we would go hungry. My hubby is particularly in love with food, but doesn't cook very often. He is so lazy about it he won't even make a sandwich and eats his peanut butter and jelly out of the jars with spoons! So, I do cook meals, though the kind of meal we have depends on what kind of mood I am in. Usually, when I am sick of cooking I make a huge-ass pot of soup or stew that lasts for about three weeks. (My kids used to hate that when they lived at home.) It's nutritious, filling and easily zapped in the microwave. If anyone complains, they are welcome to cook something else.

Despite my not liking to cook, I can cook well when I want to, and I have some recipes that other people love and ask me to make again and again. Like my strawberry-whipped-cream-jello. I always make that for get-togethers where we all are bringing something. They say "make that pink jello stuff of yours!" The problem with that is that it is a several step process and the time must be watched carefully or else it will turn out funky. So, I spent the entire morning fooling around with this jello mold. Since making it for the first time, I try to be very careful when whipping the Cool Whip into the strawberry red jello because it can get quite messy. Well, today was one of those days I must not have been too careful because the Braun hand mixer I was using flipped pink spatters all over the friggin' place and what a mess that was to clean up! It was on the counter-top, wall, appliances and things I have on the counter-top, floor, and myself.
I will be wiping up little pink dots for weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could treat that as a kind of meditation. Ha ha.