Thursday, December 21, 2006

Back from visit with Mom and Dad

I had a relaxing visit with my mom and dad. They really love for any of us to come over and once we are there they will do whatever they can to delay our leaving. If we want to leave by 4 p.m., for instance, we better start our goodbyes at 2 or 3. Other people we visit might be ready to usher us out of the house after a couple of hours, but Mom and Dad make you feel loved and want to keep you there.

Mom made a Stouffer's lasagna for supper after I got there Tuesday evening and then we went over to see my brother and sis-in-law's new house, which is absolutely beautiful. I am happy for them. After living in Chicago for more nearly 20 years, I think they are going to love suburban life.

My parents live in a trailer (manufactured home is the p.c. term nowdays). The room I stayed in is very small, and the bed is a short twin bed. But I slept well. I woke up to the sounds familiar to my childhood...the sounds of my father shuffling around the kitchen, making coffee and opening and shutting the fridge. I heard my mother get up and whisper, "Is she still sleeping?" I then got up and got dressed and we had some eggs and then watched The Polar Express dvd which is a wonderful animated film that warms the heart and brings back a bit of childhood magic. I love Santa movies. They bring back so many childhood memories of waiting for Santa Claus to arrive. Of course...we all find out who the real Santa is...mom and dad...and it is their love that brings Santa to life.

I talked with my other brother on the telephone and we had a nice conversation, though a bit long. (He is long-winded, but that is how he is.) I came home around dinnertime to find that two of my children were heartbroken...I am so sad for them right now and wish Santa could fix things, but of course...they will have to fix things themselves. No one else can do it for them.

No comments: