Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow . . .

Over the years I have often started a hobby, only to get bored with it and start something else. There are only a few things I have been consistent with and that is pen-palling, journal writing, and Blogging. Otherwise, I go from hobby, to hobby, to hobby . . . then back to the first hobby, then to another . . . back to another, and it goes on and on. I love to draw and paint when I get started, but usually I am too damn lazy to get out the paper and art supplies. Then there is all the clean-up to deal with and so I usually talk myself out of even starting something. I love books, and when I was going to college for my B.A. in English I did a lot of reading and read a ton of books. The same thing when I went back for my Masters. I read so many books, and could read rather fast. I could read several books in the same time period, switching from one to another. But now, it's a miracle if I can get through two pages before nodding off to sleep, even if the book is quite interesting.

Jon and I are the same in this way. With him it's not just hobbies, but projects that need to be done. He will start a project and never finish it. Like building our house 20 years ago. The fireplace still isn't finished in the family room. it has a base, the insert where the gas logs are, and the glass door enclosures, so it works, but it has no brick on the sides and no mantel. Just the exhaust pipe going out through the wall. He also has the garage half-painted. The basement is half finished. The ceiling tiles down there to finish the drop ceilings are all in boxes. Floor tiles for the basement are in boxes and the floor is half done. The two-level deck still doesn't have stairs down to the yard. Only the livingroom and basement family room shutters are on the house.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

One thing I don't put off though, is everyday stuff that needs to be done. Like cleaning, laundry, picking crap up and putting it away, paying bills, checking on stuff, making phone calls to friends, etc. But with hubby, it's "later". I say, "honey will you change the lightbulbs on the garage lights?" and he says "later" or "tomorrow". It's like that for lots of things. I joke that his theme song should be the "Tomorrow" song from ANNIE.

But I can't be too hard on him. I am just as much as a procrastinator in a lot of ways as he is.
I also beat myself up for it all the time, because time is going by so fast, and someday there will be no more time to do the things I want to do in my mind. It will be too late to write that novel, or paint that picture, etc. Like the Nike slogan says, we should "Just Do It" and do it now and stop waiting for tomorrow.

No comments: