Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Beware of instant mashed potatoes

I have been doing really well on my low sodium diet and have been writing things down and keeping track. Today I even started writing down calories and fat content, just so I can see what I am eating on paper. I've lost several more pounds in the last couple of weeks and it's all going well, however tonight I cheated without even knowing it!

I made tilapia with Mrs. Dash's lemon pepper and that has no sodium. The tilapia only has 94 mgs in one filet, and only 95 calories. I made frozen string beans that have 0 mgs of sodium and 25 calories per 3/4 cup. I also made a spaghetti squash. It's the first time I ever made a spaghetti squash and it was delicious and I am going to be making that again often. Spaghetti squash is only 45 calories per cup, and about 12 mgs of sodium per cup. Doing well, right? I decided, since I am practically starving my hubby lately, to make some instant mashed potatoes to go along with everything. I put everything on my plate in portions, and then put about a half of a cup of mashed potatoes in the middle (I made them with fat free milk and no butter or added salt so thought I was still doing good). I had the info for the all of the stuff I ate from the box labels, but I keep my instant potatoes in a Tupperware container and had thrown away the box some time ago. I decided later to look up the nutrition content of instant potatoes online and I almost fell off my chair! 666 mgs of sodium amd 350 calories in one cup of instant mashed potatoes without adding anything else! So, since I had half, it was about 333...then add about 30 mgs for the sodium in the milk and about 175 for calories.

I guess now I am going to have to peel and cook potatoes from scratch from now on. I am being forced to turn into Suzy Freakin' Homemaker!

No comments: