Sunday, March 15, 2009

Things are getting better

Well, after only three days in the boot, shown to the left, things are improving. I can put slight weight on the heel now, though it isn't pleasant. I alternate between crutches, walker and wheel chair. Like today, we went to Menard's again to get some remaining parts to finish the downstairs kitchen and we used the chair. No way can I walk through a store yet. We went out yesterday, also to Menard's and then to Wal-Mart and I used the chair. And I also got a hair cut and I used the crutches for that, but I think it might have been just too much in one day. Last night the foot was like the texture of the Pillsbury Dough Boy! When I would press my finger into my foot, a lasting finger impression stayed for about ten minutes afterwards. It's doing it again today. So as soon as I finish jotting this out, I will go lay down and elevated it again and get some reading done.

It's great getting out, though. The sun is shining today and warm enough to only wear a jacket. Many people didn't even have a jacket or a sweater on. Jon thinks it's rather amusing that I am excited to even go to the home improvement and auto parts stores and to see the shiny tools and light bulbs, etc. LOL! But I am really looking forward to getting out and doing some real shopping. That's what makes most women feel better...buying stuff, even if it's wrenches, nails and screwdrivers.

Off to read now. I am reading a book my daughter recommended, Psycho-Cybernetics. While some of it is hooey, there are many good points which are mainly common sense, but when we have problems in life, or when things get difficult we tend to make mountains out of molehills and forget that we can change many of the situations we find ourselves in, and many of the feelings and emotions we have are only because we keep ourselves in the rut that we may have been in since our early years.

I'll be writing a review of it at my literary review blog after I am done reading it. Here is a pic of the book's cover:













Another book I am reading is We Need To Talk About Kevin, a novel written from the perspective of the mother of a teen who goes on a shooting rampage at a school, killing a dozen people. Kind of depressing, but I am plodding along. I much prefer the other book I am trying to finish by Augusten Burrough's called Magical Thinking which is memoirs of the author's life.

Off to reading now!

1 comment:

John said...

"When we have problems in life, or when things get difficult we tend to make mountains out of molehills and forget that we can change many of the situations we find ourselves in, and many of the feelings and emotions we have are only because we keep ourselves in the rut that we may have been in since our early years."

That's definitely true for me. I'm really good at blowing things way out of proportion and then blaming others for the situations I tend to get myself in sometimes. I'm getting better at not doing it so much though. Sounds like there might some pretty good information in that book. Can't wait to read your review of it.

Oh, I'm also really glad to hear things are getting better with your foot. Keep on keeping on! :)