Saturday, March 07, 2009

Robin in the tree

Robin, robin in the tree
Sing a little song for me

This excerpt above is from a little song I sang when I was in kindergarten way back in 1958-59. I loved that song, and I have always loved the coming of spring and look for the robin as a first sign that spring is coming (which is what my kindergarten teacher told all of us and that has stayed with me since.)

I saw a robin in our tree this morning. He was much like the one pictured here, only chubbier. I heard his song though the windows were closed. It's raining and cold again today, and when I woke up to the gloom and the sound of rain and wind, I felt like just pulling the covers up over my head and staying there.

But I made myself get up, rolled into the kitchen and got myself a bowl of cereal. Then rolled over to the patio doors when I heard a bird singing and there he was, Mr Robin sitting there looking right at me.

Spring is right around the corner!

No comments: