Wednesday, March 04, 2009

One more week

A week from tomorrow and I get this blasted plaster cast off my leg...hopefully, if the x-rays show that everything is fine and I don't see why it wouldn't be since I have been absolutely behaving myself and not doing anything I'm not supposed to be doing.

A week from tomorrow I get the plaster cast off and get a walking boot, like I had before when I had my operation last September...the boot that made me blow my back out so I had to have spinal fusion! But I will be so glad to have it now since I will be able to take it off at night and when I take a shower. I probably will still need the wheel chair at times when there is a long distance to walk like when going to the store and the doctor, etc. But for getting around the house, I should be able to make do with my trusty walker. Woo hoo!


This past month and a half has really made me realize how it must be for a wheel-chair bound person, especially those who have no one to take them out like I do. Jon is very great about taking me places and he even took me to Lowes and Target the other day and I was so excited to get out that I didn't want to go home. But what about those who can't get out. I would go crazy! Just being here all day and not even able to get to the door because of the stairs drives me nuts.
Making a sandwich is not easy when you have to roll back and forth to the fridge and try to carry bottles, jars and packages in your lap. And dropping stuff is a real pain. I have my grabber thingy, but sometimes it take about ten minutes to just pick up a dropped piece of wrapped cheese.

I'm getting very strong arm and shoulder muscles from rolling myself around. I even lost a few more pounds. I can tell because my newer clothes are getting baggy. Maybe by summer I will be down yet another size or two.

I will celebrate the day when we finally call the Walgreens store and tell them to come get their wheelchair back! The goal is May 1st.

No comments: