Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

It's been a very quiet day today. Jon was sleeping most of the day, and I was taking it easy and even fell asleep for a couple of hours and I rarely sleep in the daytime. Jason had gone to work so it was very quiet around here. When I woke up there was a soft, powdery snow coming down, which should have fallen on Christmas Day. It's so pretty.

We watched a few reruns of 70s Show. I love that show. It reminds me of my teenage years.

I got a few favorite foods for New Year's that I can eat a little bit of. Jon made this dip that is a modified version of the kind my sister-in-law makes that includes reduced fat cream cheese, fat free refried beans, shredded Mexican cheese, green onions, black olives and diced green peppers. I got a lowfat veggie dip for chopped vegetables, and did get a small bag of Ruffles. I got some pastry hors d'oeuvres -- some are stuffed with spinach, some mushroom and cheese, some onion and cheese and another with just cheese. We are all sharing the one box. I also have Squirt, 50/50 and pineapple juice. Mix the pineapple juice in with the Squirt and it makes instant punch. No champagne this year, no booze of any kind because I can't drink it anymore, Jon is on medicine, too and can't have it...but he rarely drinks even beer so no biggie to him. Jason didn't even buy himself beer this year so it's going to be a "dry" New Year's Eve around here this year.

Jon rented two movies we are going to watch. They are probably both bad. One is Talladega Nights and the other one is Stardust. I saw previews of Talladega nights and it looks funny, though I can't stand NASCAR crap. But I think Will Farrell is funny. So, will let you know later how we liked them both.

We rented the movies because nowadays there is nothing much on New Year's Eve like in the old days when Guy Lombardo was on and we could hear all the big band music and watch people who are all dressed up make drunken fools of themselves. Now it's all "rockin in the New Year" and mostly yackety, yackety, yackety of the overly-hyper commentators. I hate it. So, we will watch the movies and then turn the television on for a bit to watch the big ball drop in NYC, and then turn it to a local station at midnight Chicago time to watch the Chicago countdown. Then will go to bed...and then get up to watch the Rose Bowl parade in the morning.

Off to make some cod fillets and sweet potatoes for a light supper since we are eating a bit of garbage along with it. :D

Here is Guy Lombardo for all of you who don't know who he is:

No comments: