Well, he called today, and when I heard him say "This is Dr. N" I thought at first it was that something was wrong with the mammogram since I hadn't had one for years, and was so cocky talking to the technician about breast cancer not running in our family. Then he told me that I have moderate osteoporosis in my lumbar spine, and in my right hip. I wonder why the back doctor didn't order a bone scan before sending me for therapy treatments that are not working! The gynecologist wants me to take Fosamax. I need to talk to my internist about this. I don't want to take more drugs. And Fosamax sounds like it would be bad in many ways...here's the list of side effects:
Serious side effects:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- difficulty or pain when swallowing;
- chest pain;
- pain or burning under the ribs or in the back; or
- new or worsening heartburn.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur:
- abdominal discomfort; (I just got the ulcers cured so don't need this!)
- stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation;
- muscle, bone, or joint soreness or aches;(I'm on meds to try to get RID of chronic pain, so do I really need a drug to cause MORE??)
- eye pain; (wonderful)
- a rash;
- an altered sense of taste.