Thursday, January 18, 2007

Outing with my friend Pam

Today I met my friend Pam at a nearby cinema to see the film "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Bill Cobbs, Owen Wilson and a whole lot more in this large cast of characters. This is truly a kid movie, but enjoyable for adults who are kids at heart.

When I was a little girl and my family and I visited the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, I always thought it would be so creepy to be locked inside the museum overnight. I would imagine that they mummies would wake up and walk around, or that they stuffed animals and wax cavemen, indians and other statues would come to life. I would also spend the longest time by the miniature exhibits of the wild west, or a Native American village and imagined the little tiny people walking around going about their business in their little museum exhibit world. All of this happens in the film "Night at the Museum." It is a kid's fantasty right there on the big screen. The movie might also spark some interest in world history for youngsters who go to see this film. I strongly urge parents of school-aged kids to take them to see this movie.

After leaving the cinema, Pam and I went to Target. I had to get a picture frame. The other night, as I walked down the hallway to go to bed, a large framed family photo fell off the wall. The frame literally fell apart and the glass, picture and frame crashed to the floor. This happened around midnight and woke up my husband who is usually a heavy sleeper. It was a cheap frame and I guess after 20 something years, the wood just dried out and it slipped apart. So, I had to get a new frame for the photo.

Once the frame was purchased, we decided to go to a place called Champs for an early dinner. Champs is a sports bar and restaurant. Big screen televisions all around the place so no matter where you sit you can watch tv. My husband would have been thrilled. But he would not have been happy about the prices on the menu! I got a single pepperjack bacon cheeseburger and fries, a root beer, and a cup of soup and a cup of coffee and it was $23.00! Pam got simply a cheeseburger and fries and a Sprite and her's was nearly $15! We had to leave a tip on top of that. We could have gone somewhere and had a steak. It was very good, though. (should be for that amount of money!)

We sat there for a long time talking and eating and while we were talking and eating the place kept getting darker and darker. It was getting darker outside, but the lighting in the place was also getting darker. By the time we were ready to go we could hardly see each other! That was also about when the people started coming in and sitting around the bar. Why are bars so dark? So people don't have to see each other's flaws so clearly? My grandfather used to say he didn't want to eat in a dark restaurant because you can't see what they are serving you. Anyway, that is the first time I have been in a casual place where the lights are turned down lower and lower as the evening progresses. Weird.

We left the restaurant and Pam drove me back to my van which I had left at the cinema parking lot. We finally exchanged xmas presents (we haven't seen each other since before the holidays). After saying goodbye, and promising not to wait so long to get together again, we drove off to our respective homes. I should really get out more often like that. It was enjoyable.

No comments: