Friday, March 14, 2008

Online used car shysters

Our son's car bit the dust, and since he has to work, I was online at Craigslist Chicago looking at used cars for him. I found several that seemed affordable, and one 2003 Honda Civic that was extremely under-priced. It was only $3,500 and I thought it was too good to be true, but sent an email anyway.

Well, the next day I received a reply from an Allan C and he said he was in a big hurry to sell the car because his son was in the hospital and he needed the money. He then said that the car is in Utah of all places. He over-explained that the car was like new. low miles, never been in an accident, treated like his "baby" yadda, yadda, yadda. Then he said that if I wanted the car I had to send a payment via a pay pal account and then the car would be shipped here to Chicagoland by his brother who works for the shipping company and is allowed one free shipment a year. All of this sounded quite fishy.

I sent an email response back asking why he just didn't sell the car where it was in Utah, why he was advertising it all the way in Chicago, and I said we didn't want to buy a car sight-unseen and we would have to see and test-drive it first before agreeing to buy it. So, he sent me another email saying to send him all of my personal information and a pre-agreement to buy the car if he shipped it here and the car ran well for us. I said no, I could not make any such agreement, that the car would have to be in area, and we would come look at it, then decide.

I didn't hear back again. I then clicked on the bookmark to the craigslist page and saw a message that craigslist had flagged the ad for removal for some kind of violation. They were probably crooks. Whenever something seems too good to be true, it usually is. SO...beware of online advertising on craigslist. If something sounds fishy, report it

No comments: