Monday, April 09, 2007

Hardly working at home

I swear, I must give myself a medal for all the patience and perseverance I have managed to muster despite continual annoyances and roadblocks with this work at home crap.

Wednesday went along fairly well, I trained in a couple of hours and managed to work a full day. Thursday was also a pretty good day and I really thought this was going well. Then around 4:15 in the afternoon a message popped up on the screen that said "No more work available. Please contact your supervisor for further instructions." WTF now!" I muttered to myself, feeling my blood pressure shooting up. I then called the number, using MORE of my cell phone minutes to call the home office, and the woman on the phone basically said this is pretty normal. She told me in a cheery, happy voice that we scorers were so productive that we finished the first batch way before they anticipated and that they had to catch up to us and scan several more thousand of incoming papers for us to work on (which I suspect is bullshit...they just are trying to keep everyone at part time, is what I think.)

The woman said to keep checking the website to see if there is work. I logged on Friday morning and surprise...work in the queue! Yay! I was moving along, and then after only an hour and fifteen minutes the damn message pops up again..."No more work available." I called the Home Office again to get some questions answered. "How often does this happen?" I asked. The woman said that this is why it is "flexible", work comes in spurts. Well, that isn't what I was told when I was hired for the job. I was made to believe I can work up to 40 hours a week. Then it hit me...the weasel phrase "UP TO 40 hours a week". I tried later after my daughter left to drive back east in the evening to see if there was something else in the queue. Nope. Nada.

I then went to fill out my timesheet online. It doesn't work! Surprise, surprise! I called back about that and was told to use a lame ass "exception" timesheet for now while they are working to figure out the problem. At first they were trying to ask me if my computer was set up properly and I said that I spent 16 freakin hours with their tech support practically redoing my whole damn computer to get it to be compatible with their sites and programs. I told her that I would not be able to get into their site now would I if it wasn't set up correctly. Turns out I am not the only one with the problems getting into the timesheet site. They have a list. I must use the cheesy crappy timesheet that takes forever to fill out until the problem is resolved.

I got up early this morning, got my breakfast and then signed in...and WORK was waiting in the queue...(a little "yay" here) and I started working. I managed to get in FOUR hours! (Whoop de freakin do!) Then I had to sign off for lunch. I was happy things were working again, then signed back on after lunch and NO F**&^%% WORK AVAILABLE! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

What next with this place, and how long can I put up with it?

No comments: