Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Weight loss update

Writing down and keeping track of calories, fat, sugar, sodium in a meal-by-meal diet journal really works. It helps me to see what I am putting in my mouth at each and every meal, and in between. I am down nearly 30 pounds, and two jean sizes! My underwear is so loose it's falling down all the time and I need a new bra. (Too bad we have to lose that part along with the rest when losing weight.)

I am going to keep at it, forever. I feel better, I can breathe better, I can fit in clothes I haven't had on in a few years, and I seem to have more energy. I like being able to bend over and tie my shoes without feeling like my eyeballs are going to pop out.

After not eating salt for so long now, I don't know how I could have salted food the way I used to. I would salt salty stuff. Now salt tastes like a chemical to me. I now taste the real flavor of the food I eat, and it's all good. Salt ruins the natural flavor of things.

The hardest thing to keep track of is sugar. I am supposed to stay around 65 grams of sugar per day and one glass of raspberry tea or a mandarin orange cup is more than half that amount. It's really hard to keep low. I have to work on that a bit more, and to stay away from the tea mixes and sweet snacks. Even a piece of angel food cake is 28 grams of sugar.

I need to get down one more size to make my doctor happy. I want to go down two more sizes though in order to wear this really nice pantsuit for our son's wedding next year. Below is a photo of it. (Click on image to enlarge. It has sparkles woven in the top and jacket.)

No comments: