Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bridge collapse

Whenever I am stopped in my car on a bridge or overpass, and feel it moving up and down ever so slightly as traffic goes by in the opposite lanes, I get the jeebies. I always think to myself "I hope it's sturdy...I hope it doesn't fall down", then today I see this on the news where a bridge in Minneapolis collapsed and spilling cars to the Mississippi River and the ground below. This is also a highway we once took when we went out west to Montana, passing through Minnesota on the way there and on the way back.

How often are these bridges inspected? Or was someone supposed to inspect it and didn't do their job? This is just awful and I am going to be even more squeamish about going over these crappy bridges or sitting on them in traffic for any length of time. I also don't like sitting underneath overpasses. I look up and hope it's strong enough to support all the traffic going overhead. Or those train overpasses where these huge train engines and big long train of loaded boxcars rattles along. Many of the train overpasses in our area are old, probably older than I am.

Anyway, it's a real shame. These people just driving along going from point A to point B and boom, boom, boom...just like that.

No comments: